Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Looking Out a New Window


As I look out my window on the school bus, I'm seeing something new. At home in Georgia its just looking, but here you’re seeing. Back in Georgia you look out and see big houses, every bush is sculpted, beautiful flowers, the sun is up before you even get out of bed, etc. How could anyone say that is not beautiful?

Looking out my window here is a little different. In the morning I leave and the stars are still out.  I get to see the start to a new day, everyday, seeing the beautiful sunrise over the hills. It looks like a painting or something you’d see in a movie. As we keep driving I start to see all of the people walking to work. Some with water on their heads and others just walking. The best is when you see the Gogos (grandmothers) singing, just singing as they’re walking. Singing because it is a new day and they are grateful.

Next you hit the highway and start to see the kids that are walking to school, ranging from pre-school students to high school students. Imagine. Walking on the side of the highway to get to school from when you’re 4 or 5 until you’re done with high school. How am I complaining about my hour and a half car ride to school…? *Guilty thoughts…*

Finally as I’m approaching the hill that my school is on, we turn off of the highway. To get to my school you must drive through somewhat of a little community. I'm now seeing homes made of mud with clotheslines and hanging laundry, kids in uniforms walking to the public school that is placed at the bottom of the hill, skinny dogs roaming, a couple of cows here and there, etc. The women are looking at me through the window as I look back at them, subtly smiling back and forth at each other. I've heard people say they see “hope in the eyes of a child.,” but around here you see hope in everyone’s eyes. Truly.  I've reached my destination.

What a great way to start every day, right? Someone asked me the other day if I liked what I saw out my window better here or at home in Georgia. After thinking about it, of course my response was, I love this view so much more. This is real, not some Utopia, and it reminds me every day how blessed I am. How is that I've been coming here, to Swaziland, for the past 8 years and I'm just now seeing this new perspective on life? His creation is beautiful. 

3 comments:

  1. An amazing perspective Chloe! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day is new day, every day is a last day. Chloe enjoy your wonderful life :)

    ReplyDelete